I've decided that on this trip I will indeed relax. I will enjoy every last bit of it. I will use the time off to gain insight on my future--which as of new summer will be that of a real person--, the excursions to expand my cultural knowledge, and the meals to find new culinary inspiration. I will make this trip, a me trip. Sure this sounds selfish--and a little bit like a New Year's resolution--but maybe that is what I need, so why not give it a go?
Anyways, I won't be posting any recipes in the next month, so here is one. I created this recipe myself. I came home one day to find a bunch of kale in my fridge (one I had bought in efforts to start a green smoothie habit) and decided to turn it into a healthy lunch salad. The dressing is delicious and the add-ins are versatile. But I recommend soaking the kale in the dressing for about 20 minutes to ensure full flavor and avoid dry kale. Enjoy!
Beet Feta Kale Salad
Active time: 10 minutes. Total time: 30 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar or Stevia
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch kale, washed and dried
- 4 small beets, diced
- 1/4 cup roasted bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 crumbled feta cheese
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar and mustard. Add sweetener and stir until dissolved. Season with salt and pepper; add olive oil. Set aside.
- Remove ribs from kale and tear leaves into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Place kale in a large bowl; add dressing and toss to coat. Let sit for about 20 minutes.
- Add beets and pepper to kale and toss to combine. Then add feta cheese and toss once or twice.