But I think it's going rogue tomorrow again. It's staying hidden until Thursday, which means I need to prepare for a couple of gloomy days--my worst nightmare. There's one thing of the top of my mind that would makes the week better: food.
Considering I have two finals left and many clouds to shoo away, I am going to need fuel. The question is what should I do? Tasty snacks, yummy meals or decadent desserts? How about all of the above.
Let me start with today's breakfast. It was fresh and colorful; a healthy and filling egg-white sandwich. Plus, it's easy to make and the perfect base for different combinations. Enjoy!
Open Faced Egg-White Sandwich
Makes 2 sandwiches.
Active time: 10 minutes. Total time 15 minutes.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 pieces rye or whole wheat bread
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1/2 cup arugula
- Salt and pepper.
- In a small skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add pepper and onion and cook for about 1 minute. Add egg whites and cook, stirring, until fully cooked, about 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, toast bread until crispy.
- Spread 1 teaspoon mustard on each piece of toast. Arrange three tomato slices over mustard and top with egg mixture. Add arugula on top and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper. Serve warm.