It seems my perpetual fear of gaining weight while abroad--a fear that started when I was 15 and moved to France--has caused me to always seek out the low-carb option. As
And so, when I began my carbo-loading this week--I have a marathon coming up--I didn't realize I would have to constantly remind myself to skimp on fats and protein and go for carbs, carbs, and more carbs. But not just any carbs. Proper carbo-loading requires some thought: easily digestible carbs, even if refined, over fiber-heavy ones; naturally sweetened or homemade snacks (fruit-based, etc.) over candy (which may actually come in handy during the race).
Anyways, to make it easier, I decided to bake goodies from my favorite running cookbook (Racing Weight Cookbook) so as to have carb-heavy snacks up for grabs. So far so good.
Apple-Craisin Bars (adapted from Racing Weight Cookbook)
Active time: 20 minutes; total time: 40 minutes.
Makes 8-12 bars.
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup egg whites (4 egg whites)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 large apple
- 1/4 cup craisins
- 1 1/2 quick oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 servings vanilla whey protein powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons chia
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, egg whites, water, and vanilla. Set aside; let rest at room temperature.
- Chop apple into fine pieces. In a small bowl combine apple pieces and craisins.
- In a separate large bowl combine oats, flour, protein powder, sugar, chia, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; stir to mix well.
- Add melted coconut oil to wet ingredients and mix well. Stir in apple pieces and craisins. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until uniformly moistened.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes until center is just solid. Cool completely, about 20 minutes, before cutting into 8-12 bars.