There, I said it. I know this post contradicts yesterday's, but I fell in love with the cupcakes I made today. So I am ready to take on tomorrow.
We (the TasteBUds staff) are having a
Anyways, here is my contribution to the "great" day of Saint Valentine. These cupcakes really are delicious, I have made them several times and they are a hit. Plus, they are just so cute. Enjoy!
Red Velvet Cupcakes (adapted from Epicurious)
Makes 48 cupcakes
Active time: 30 minutes. Total time: 50 minutes + cooling.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 oz. water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two 12-cupcake pans.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, blending well after each one.
- In a small bowl, make a paste using the cocoa and the food coloring. Add to the butter mixture and beat until well combined. Sift flour and salt into butter mixture, while beating on medium speed; beat until fully mixed.
- One at a time, add the buttermilk, vanilla, and water. Beat on low-medium speed until combined.
- In a small bowl, mix vinegar and baking soda. Fold into the cake batter until incorporated; being careful not to over beat.
- Divide batter among cupcake tins, filling each about 3/4 of the way. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Place tray over rack and cool for about 15 minutes; remove from tin and cool completely before icing.