The week is finally over. I'm as excited as a kid with a spatula covered in frothy Nutella frosting grasped between two chubby hands. Or as a college student that discovers sleep and free time looming on the horizon.
This week was hectic and tiring to say the least, but it still had some highlights. For instance, I was part of a delicious cupcake sale on Monday; I got to see my students (I'm a TA) climb up on a tables and pretend they were angry at each other on Tuesday; I applied for a job on Wednesday; and I finished the first season of Revenge late on Thursday. Oh and then there is today.
Friday is usually the best--or second best depending on the greatness of Saturday--part of the week. This Friday promises nothing less than an amazing time. I have a family-style friends dinner to attend with the greatest people on earth (my group of annoyingly funny friends), an array of birthday celebrations to keep me entertained throughout the night, and a free-as-can-be Saturday morning. So yeah, I'm grateful that it's Friday. Cue Rebecca Black song.
If I were to add a song to this post it would be Katy Perry's Last Friday Night in homage to last Friday night. But I don't do songs on this blog, so let's get to the good part. Cupcakes!
I baked three dozen cupcakes for the TasteBUds sale on Monday. Two of those were Red Velvet, the all-time favorite; and the third was the newby, Chocolate Nutella.
If you enjoy the occasional spoonful of Nutella or a daily dose of chocolate, you will love these cupcakes. Think dense dark chocolate cake topped with a cloud of sweet velvety frosting. Moist cupcake with a flavorful frosting that will make you feel in chocolate heaven.
Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes (adapted from Sweetapolita)
Makes 12 cupcakes
Active time: 30 minutes. Total time: 45 minutes.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup fresh brewed espresso
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg at room temperature (for at least 30 mins.)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine all dry ingredients. Add remaining ingredients and mix on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Batter will be very liquid.
- Pour batter into cupcake pan filling each about 2/3 of the way. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Carefully remove cupcakes from pan immediately after removing from the oven and place on wire rack to cool completely.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on low speed until fluffy, about 1 minute. Add vanilla and continue to beat until combined.
- Add chocolate and increase speed to medium; beat for about 2 minutes or until smooth. Add Nutella, milk and salt and beat on medium-high speed for 1-2 more minutes.