That said, I'm more than six weeks into my training and it's already a challenge--and I know it'll just get tougher, but that's the whole point of the monster right? So I decided to start a new eating plan. From now on my goal is to eat for the marathon. Every meal now revolves around strengthening and accelerating my run.
Here's the first of it. Take a salmon filet, chop it up, mix in some veggies and grill into patties. Then just treat it like any other burger. Mustard, ketchup, etc. In my case, I decided to place it atop a whole wheat bagel (no buns available in my pantry) and add some spinach, cherry tomatoes and dijon mustard. Anything goes. Enjoy!
Salmon Burgers (adapted from The New Rules of Marathon and Half-Marathon Nutrition)
- 1 lb. fresh salmon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large bowl, mix onion, oregano, salt, pepper and hot sauce with chopped salmon. Add egg white and stir until well combined. Shape salmon mixture into four patties.
- In a large sauce-pan heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook for about 3 minutes on each side.