Anyways, tonight was that kind of night when I craved salmon. Who would've thought I would ever say that. Me, the former seafood-hater who got grossed out even by the sight of uncooked fish, craving salmon? Well apparently so.
Anyways, I was debating whether to do the salmon cakes I did some time ago or grilled salmon instead. My roomie mentioned she would eat the cakes rather than the grilled fish, so my decision was made. But then I realized I had no zucchini for the Gourmet salmon cakes recipe; no problem though, Epicurious saved my butt.
I found a recipe from SELF magazine (this month's actually) and I decided to try it out. The recipes was Salmon Cakes and Greens, but I had written roasted cauliflower in my weekly menu and decided to stick with it. Oh and I also popped in a baguette in the oven for freshly baked bread to go with my dinner!
Ok first of all, let me state that I SKINNED A SALMON FILLET! I am so proud of myself for doing so. Its one of the challenges that is on my list (which will be posted very soon since I am still making final changes to it). Anyways, here are the recipes!
Salmon Cakes (adapted from SELF)
- 1 lb. salmon filet, skin removed, finely chopped
- 2 egg whites (1/3 cup if using bought egg whites)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 5 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- S & P
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large bowl combine the first 5 ingredients. Mix well and season with S & P. Form 6-8 patties.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook patties until the bottom is golden, about 5 minutes and flip. Cook for 5 more minutes, or until patties are completely cooked.
Roasted Cauliflower with Olive Dressing
- 1 cauliflower, leaves removed, cut lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- S & P
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives (works with black olives too)
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 480 F. Arrange cauliflower in rimmed baking sheet making sure its on one layer. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with S & P.
- Roast in oven for about 25 or until lightly browned, flipping once halfway.
- Meanwhile combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, shallot, and olives in a small bowl. Season with S & P. When cauliflower is done, transfer to plate and serve with dressing on top.
Post a Comment