Second, I'm no fan of cupcakes. Actually, the last time I ate a cupcake it was for a class assignment--a very yummy gluten-free one. But even then I only took a couple of bites.
What is my reasoning behind not liking cupcakes you ask? Well for one they're not as moist as cake. I find cupcakes are usually on the dry side. Plus, if you want to get a good bite, you have to get it all: frosting and cake. But the problem with this is that sometimes there is too much frosting and sometimes not enough. So in order for me to like a cupcake, it has to have the perfect cake-to-frosting balance. It also has to be small enough to take a bite of everything every time. Forgive me, but yes, I am OCD about cupcakes.
But, there is hope. The cupcakes I made today met--and surpassed--my expectations. They call for coconut milk, egg whites and apple sauce, so the final product is a fluffy delectable goodness. Also, they're skinny cupcakes, so eating one (or two, or three) comes with less guilt than eating a regular cupcake. Oh and they're super simple to bake. Enjoy!
Skinny Coconut Cupcakes (adpated from Skinny Taste)
Makes 24 cupcakes.
Active time: 15 minutes. Total time: 40 minutes + cooling
- 8 oz. (one package) 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons coconut extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup lite coconut milk, available in the Thai aisle at supermarkets
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 box white cake mix
- Shredded sweetened coconut, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two cupcake pans and set aside.
- Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons coconut extract with an electric mixer until incorporated, about 1 minute at medium speed. Transfer to bowl and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine remaining coconut extract, egg whites, coconut milk and apple sauce. Beat about 2 minutes, until fully combined. Add cake mix and beat until batter forms, about 2 minutes. Do not over beat.
- Pour batter onto lined cupcake pans, filling each about halfway. Bake for 20-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of one cupcake comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool.
- Top each cupcake with 1 teaspoon frosting and shredded coconut right before serving.