What are they? ... Meringues! Yup, today I finally made the treats that I have been craving for months--basically since I left home in January. After hours of writing (that taco feature I was talking about is well on its way now) I decided to take a break and bake.
Now I'm happily satisfied with the batch of meringues--or what's left of them--sitting in my kitchen.
But before the recipe let me tell you about my tween obsession with boy bands. Judge all you want, but One Direction is creeping its way up my Most Played list on Itunes. And I am NOT ashamed to admit it. "One Thing" is addicting; it's that one song that will get me in a good mood no matter the circumstances.
Oh and then there's Backstreet Boys and Beiber. Maybe it's my depression with growing old, but I'm obsessed with these songs right now. I'm talking "I Want It That Way" and "Overboard." Seriously, listen to them and tell me otherwise--or don't.
Active time: 5 minutes. Total time: 2 hours.
- 4 egg whites
- 250 gr. (about 1 1/4 cups) granulated Splenda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (although I forgot it and they taste great anyways)
- Preheat oven to 210 F; grease a baking sheet and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until fluffy, about 4 minutes on medium high. Increase to high and beat for another minute.
- Add Splenda and beat until peaks form, about 5-7 minutes on medium high. Increase to high and beat for another minute. Add vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.
- Drop large spoonfuls of batter onto prepared baking sheet and place meringues in oven. Bake, with the oven door propped open using a kitchen towel, until glossy and crisp, about 2 hours. remove from oven and cool completely before storing. Meringues will keep for about a week in an airtight container.
Post a Comment