So I had a job interview today and it consisted of me making sandwiches for 2 hours and serving them to customers. I was surprised that I was working on the floor of this specific fast food place in Boston on my first day in a commercial kitchen; but it was all good and I actually enjoyed my time manning the station.
Still, between the gym, class, the interview, and homework, I did not have time to relax until I got in the kitchen and began making dinner.
I wasn't really that inspired tonight, and I definitely noticed it with the outcome of my dishes. Lesson learned: if you're gut is unsure about cooking then save the recipe for another day. Cooking is not meant to be a hassle.
Although I have to say it did help relieve some stress.
Here are the recipes for tonight. I flipped through my magazines and adapted 2 recipes to fit the ingredients in our small kitchen.
Yogurt Chicken Kebabs (adapted from Women's Days Specials Eating Light)
- 1 cup plain non-fat yogurt (Lebanese)
- 1 small shallot finely chopped
- 1/4 ground cumin
- S & P
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
- In a shallow baking dish combine yogurt, shallot, cumin, salt and pepper to taste.
- Thread chicken onto skewers and add them to yogurt mixture. Turn to coat them and refrigerate about 20 minutes.
- Heat a grill (I have a George Foreman thanks to my roomie!). Oil the grill and cook chicken until fully cooked, 8-10 minutes).
Grilled Zucchini and Carrot (adapted from Cuisine Lite)
- 3 lbs. small zucchini
- 3 lbs. organic carrots
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- Lemon zest and juice of 1 lime
- Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil thinly sliced
- 1/2 tbsp. pine nuts
- S & P
- Preheat grill or large saucepan. Oil grill/saucepan.
- Whisk together 2 tbsp. olive oil, dijon mustard, lime juice and zest, S & P in a small bowl.
- Quarter or half (depending on size) zucchini and carrots and toss in a bowl with 1 tbsp. olive oil.
- Grill zucchini and carrots covered on one side until slightly browned, about 2 mins. Flip and grill on other side 1-2 mins.
- Remove zucchini and carrots from heat and toss with vinaigrette (to taste), feta, basil, and pine nuts. Serve.
P.S.: sorry for the bad pictures, I was not up to par today.